Dulais Road, Seven Sisters, Neath Port Talbot, SA10 9EY

Online: Contact Us Online
Telephone: 01639 701 660 ( Out of Hours: 111 )

National Health Service Wales Logo

Sickness Certificates and Other Reports

You do not require a doctor's sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) form (pdf) which is also available from your employer.

Evidence that you are sick

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

Your employer can ask you to confirm that you've been ill.You can do this by filling in a form yourself when you return to work. This is called self-certification.

If you're sick and off work for more than seven days, your employer will probably ask for proof of your illness. Most employers ask for a fit note from your GP.

However, this will also depend on your employer's company policy on sick leave (or sickness absence). This policy should tell you how many days you can be off sick before you need to provide proof of illness or a fit note.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

Evidence for the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) or the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) 

If you require evidence for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) the surgery will be given a form directly from the Department of Work and Pensions. This can normally be completed without you needing to come to the surgery.

Fitness To Drive assessments will also be provided to the surgery directly by the DVLA. It does not usually require your attendance for a review.

Please note that while the practice aims to deal with these reports as quickly as possible, there may be a delay in processing depending on the GP's workload.

Top of Page

Firearms Licensing

The practice is able to complete firearms licensing forms for our patients. There is a £30.00 charge prior to the form being completed. To make arrangements, please contact the surgery and ask to speak to the administration team.

Please note that the practice can only provide healthcare information. We are not responsible for making the final decision on the granting or denial of a firearms license.

For further information, please check the website of your local police firearms licensing team: